Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Make sure your site is searchable. - a review on a website

Two years ago I was asked by a non profit to examine their website. They asked me why their website was not searchable.

I told them I don't do websites for a living but I was willing to take a look and see how I could help them.

What I found out is that their site's information was in the form of a picture. Don't get me wrong the site was nice but their content was unsearchable. As you know if your in the SEO business you will know that content is king in the search engine world.

Here is what I am talking about. I'm not picking on this company but this is a company that has a good product but their front page is not searchable.

http://www.screentechnique.com/

If you notice their site has the same problem as the non profit. Their graphical layout is pretty decent but you notice if you try to highlight any of their content you find that the content is in the form of a graphic.

A simple remedy for this is to create the graphic and set it as a background or place it in a css style sheet. This would take care of the search function. This is not just only on graphics with text but also look at how your web buttons are layed out. For navigation buttons remember to place an alt tag on the button so that search engines as well as people who use a keyboard to read words will be able to navigate your site. And if your in business you may want to do this. Its the law. I remember Target fell into this issue with their navigation on their website because some of their products didn't not have alt tags and were not searchable.

Remember when creating websites content is king. Graphics supplement your content so make sure your content and your design complement one another.

Have a goodnight but thats my website review for tonight.

No comments: